We all know it pays to be healthy. Unfortunately, you can’t become healthy just by saying or wishing it. You have to make an effort. Sometimes though, that isn’t hard to do. Sometimes, a little effort goes a long way.
We want to make it super easy, so we’ve gathered up our favorite healthy living tips. For the next month, follow the schedule, and at the end of the month we guarantee you’ll be much healthier!
31 healthy living tips for 31 days… and go!
Healthy Living Tips
Week 1 – Healthy Eating
Science proves that a healthy diet provides numerous health benefits. Healthy eating can reduce your risk of several chronic diseases and keep your body healthy.
- Day 1 – Eat breakfast, every day. There’s a reason breakfast is considered the most important meal of the day. A well balanced breakfast starts your day off right. Don’t skip it.
- Day 2 – Eat fish once (or twice) a week. Fish is a great source of protein, vitamins and minerals.
- Day 3 – Eat one green food per day. Add some spinach to your stir fry, some broccoli to your pasta, or just have a nice big mixed green salad at lunch.
- Day 4 – Watch your salt intake. Be more aware of the sodium count on labels, and try to limit yourself to no more than 6 grams per day.
- Day 5 – Slow down. Give your brain time to register what, and how much, you’re eating. Studies show that eating slowly may reduce the number of calories you consume at meals and help you lose weight.
- Day 6 – Try at least one new healthy recipe per week. Shake things up, and switch out a staple recipe with a healthier option. Get creative.
- Day 7 – Drink more water. The number of glasses you should drink during the day depends on a few different factors, but still, you may not be drinking enough.
How much water should you drink per day? Find out here.
Week 2 – Healthy Moving
Part of living a healthy lifestyle is exercise. Being a couch potato just doesn’t give your body what it needs. That said, you don’t have to go to the gym for 2 hours every day to be healthy. Just get moving.
- Day 8 – 30 per day. Your goal for physical activity should be 30 minutes every day. Sure, more is even better, but 30 is a good place to start. And it doesn’t have to be all at once. Split it into 10s. Even a brisk walk counts.
- Day 9 – Start slow. Don’t go from little to no activity to rocking out at full tilt. Gradually work up to it according to your comfort level. If you’re going too hard, you might hurt yourself or burn out too quickly.
- Day 10 – Don’t take the easy way. Park in the farthest parking spot and take the stairs. Sit on a stability ball rather than a chair at your desk. Make a conscious effort to NOT be lazy.
- Day 11 – Use a fitness tracker. You might just find it really motivating to see how many steps you do and calories you burn in a day. Then try to beat them!
- Day 12 – Create a playlist. Whether you’re going for a walk or hitting the gym, research shows a motivating, upbeat playlist can help get you in the groove.
- Day 13 – Mix things up. If you stick to the same workout routine for too long, it can become less effective or you’ll get board. Try a new workout every day – swimming, dancing, yoga, running, jump rope.
- Day 14 – Buddy up. Set a fitness date with a pal so you have someone to help you stay on track. This way, you hold each other accountable.
Week 3 – Healthy Home
Your home should be your castle. Since you probably spend most of your time there, don’t you want it to be as healthy as possible?
- Day 15 – Invest in an air purifier. An air purifier is a great way to remove allergens, gases, and pollutants from the air you breathe at home.
- Day 16 – Change your furnace filter. Typically, this should be done every 3 months, but some people tend to forget, or do it far less often. The longer you leave them, the less effective they are at filtering the air.
- Day 17 – Opt for a natural air freshener. Some petroleum-based paraffin wax candles may smell amazing, but they can pose a health risk. Switch to soy candles or get a diffuser and some essential oils.
- Day 18 – Open a window. Indoor air can contain as much as 5 times more chemical pollutants than the air outdoors, so let the breeze flow in, even if it’s just at night.
- Day 19 – Switch to a natural cleaner. Apple cider vinegar can be as effective (or more effective!) than chemical cleaners, for everything from hardwood floors to your bathtub.
- Day 20 – Add mats on both sides of your door. As much as 80% of the dirt that you track inside can be caught with a mat on the inside and outside of your door. Get a washable one and give it a clean every few weeks.
- Day 21 – Add some houseplants around your home. Several different plants help to clear toxins from the air.
What are some of the best houseplants, according to NASA? Find some pet-friendly ones right here.
Week 4 – Healthy Mind
A healthy mind is just as important as a healthy body!
- Day 22 – Destress. Stress is linked to all sorts of health conditions, and it just doesn’t feel good. Take a hard look at what’s causing you stress, and ditch it.
- Day 23 – Get a good night’s sleep. Getting enough sleep and sleeping well contribute to a reduction in stress levels, as well as helping to keep your overall body healthy.
- Day 24 – Learn something new every day. Learn a new language, or find a creative outlet. This helps keep your brain active and keeps things sharp.
- Day 25 – Give your brain a workout. Do a puzzle, a crossword, or a couple brain teasers.
- Day 26 – Schedule some time for self-care. Our lives can be busy, so it’s important to take some time for yourself, doing something you enjoy, and letting everything else go.
- Day 27 – Meditate. Studies show even just a few minutes of meditation each day can have huge benefits.
- Day 28 – Surround yourself with positive people. Spend more time with people you love. Try your best not to let negative people take over your time.
Day 29 – Take care of yourself, then others. When it comes to your health and happiness, you have to take care of yourself first. But, it also pays to help others. Look for ways to spend your time in your community, volunteer, etc.
Day 30 – Live in the moment. You can’t change the past and you have no control over the future. Enjoy what’s in front of you right here, right now.
Day 31 – Be grateful. You have one life, and one body, treat it well. Be grateful for everything you have.
Ready, set, go. 31 healthy living tips for 31 days. You’ve got this.